Congratulations to the five winning authors:
- Stuart Turton takes the First Novel Award for his debut, The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, a high-concept crime novel;
- Irish novelist Sally Rooney wins the Novel Award for her second novel Normal People, becoming the youngest-ever recipient of the Award;
- Oxford Professor Bart van Es wins the Biography Award for his memoir The Cut Out Girl, a deeply moving story of war, families, loss, survival and friendship;
- Scottish poet J.O. Morgan wins the Poetry Award for Assurances, a book-length war-poem in part inspired by his father who was a former RAF officer involved in maintaining Britain’s Airborne Nuclear Deterrent;
- The Children’s Book Award goes to Hilary McKay for The Skylark’s War, an evocative and heartbreaking novel of family and friendship in wartime.
The Costa Book Awards is the only major UK book prize open solely to authors resident in the UK and Ireland and recognises some of the most enjoyable books across five categories – First Novel, Novel, Biography, Poetry and Children’s Book – published in the last year.
One of whose books will be named 2018 Costa Book of the Year on 29th January